Sunday, November 27, 2011

Post Thanksgiving Weekend

HI! All: 227 on the scale this morning. Sometimes it is like this. When I get in the mood to watch what I eat it takes me a couple of days or longer to get the idea through to my mind. I often gain a few pounds while I'm getting ready.

It's colder now, and so too chilly in the morning to do my early riding, and often I've not  been able to get it in until too late in the day. Therefore, I think I need to begin riding my inside exercise bike. I can push it in front of the TV and watch the Mad Men dvds I borrowed from a friend. That's what I did with Queer Folk when I first discovered it and watched all FIVE seasons!


Here's a post on my Lovesick Diet thread from May 4, 2006:

CellarDweller115

Wow!  I'm totally impressed with your results.  I'm at 224 today, down from 276.  Thanx! for giving us the before and after pix.  Lola's right, you sexy dog!

I'm interested in what changed in your thinking that helped you make the changes, and what went through your mind as you were doing it and when you had challenges.  I think people who read our posts need to hear those kinds of things.  If we have any listening skills at all, we've heard enough about how we should eat and exercise.  The challenge is making the mental change in our thinking that promotes healthy eating and exercise.

One thing that has helped me is that I have a good balance of protein and carbohydrates...the protein helps build lean muscles with exercise, and the carbohydrates provide the fuel for them.  So, in the morning, when I eat my Egg Starts (99% egg whites) with just a little bit of salt, it's not that it's this wonderful omelette that satisfies me...it's just Egg Starts, microwaved in a bowl...but what goes through my mind is that by doing this one thing I'm providing the protein my body needs to build muscle out of the exercise I did at 5:30 this morning.  It's the right thing to do.

Then I eat my oatmeal with blueberries flax seed (for my eyesight) and extra bran.  By the time I get it all mixed up it's not hot anymore.  I use water, not milk, so the taste isn't that grrrr8! but...I'm thinking...an oncologist who gave a noontime lecture last year said 'berries everyday.'  Since then I have tried to do that.  They are sweet and tart and add a little spice to the oatmeal, but by the time I put the flax seed in and the bran, my workmates call it 'gruel.'

But when I'm eating it I'm thinking...the bran is giving me regularity, the berries are protecting against cancer, and the oatmeal is heart healthy...and I don't worry that I make it all in water instead of milk.

This is my breakfast five days a week.  I didn't say us boys are too smart sometimes...but when we find something that works...we work it.

The payoff is now that I've lost 50+ lbs. I'm looking much better and people are commenting on it.  I have a supportive group at work and they like what they see.

I heard something behind me this afternoon at work and when I turned around it was two of my coworkers.  They had WW journals in their hands and said, "We want to do WW and we want you to help us."  I have all 12 weeks of WW booklets and menus, so I spread them all out, we weighed the gals in, I put their weight in my Excel spreadsheet so we can track it, gave them their pick of the books and gave them one thing to think about.  This:  They should have as their first goal a 10% weight loss.  WW and I know there is enough extra water weight and some easy to lose fat that comes off to create that 10% loss.  WW is making millions out of that...I'm just capitalizing on their strategy.  The second 10% is where the WW plan itself kicks in, education, discipline, etc.  However, it is my firm opinion that the reason only 5% of WW lose and keep it off is that something happens in their thinking to cross them over that bridge to do more than the 20%.

That's what Brokeback Mountain has done for me...changed my thinking...I'm coming out as a gay man to someone every week...working up to my family.  I'm kinder to others.  I'm doing all I can here to help the Forum prosper.  I'm making my physical body different as well as my mind.  I'll be forever indebted to this movie.

Bobby



No comments:

Post a Comment